Monday, May 3, 2010

My Wife, Moses

I'm just not sure what it is. Generally speaking, I'm always in a pretty good mood and pretty easy going. It usually takes a good bit to get me riled up. But over the last several months I've been in a pissy mood. My mood swings have been quite dramatic and the slightest little thing can really piss me off. And I'm just not sure what it is. I don't know if it's anxiety, worry, being tired from getting up early or just the whole not having a thyroid thing. And if it's not having a thyroid that makes me so easily angered, well that just pisses me off too! What that means is that it's somewhat beyond my control and that I'm at the mercy of hormone supplements. What an old person problem to have! And not that I'm knocking old people or anything, it's just that I AM 33 YEARS OLD!!! Not 73! Anyway, that brings me back to my mood swings. It bothers me that I let myself get in such a state and that I snap at the people around me, especially my wife and kids. And really my kids. I find myself getting bent out of shape over the smallest little thing and snapping at them. I think to myself, "why won't they listen," or, "I have told that boy a hundred times." Then I got to thinking about God again. I know that He has made us in His image. And I know that He is a loving and caring God. When I pray, I refer to Him as my Heavenly Father. That makes me wonder, does He feel the same way I do sometimes? Does He look down on me and see me in my sin, again and again and again and say to himself, "I have told that boy a hundred times!" Does He say to Himself, "If he does that one more time I'm gonna reach back and slap that boy right in the mouth." I know I feel that way with my kids. I know it's not right. I know it's not loving or caring. But it's just the way I feel sometimes. I know all I want to do is rant and yell and scream at them and make them do what I want, because I know it's right and because I said so. That's when my wonderful wife steps in. She sees me acting like an ass and tells me all the time, "Be nice to them." Sometimes she says it to me in a very calm and understanding way, like she knows that I'm frustrated or that it's been a long day. Other times she can be down right harsh about it. But, she is always right to do so. And she is always right with the tone she uses. And that brings me to Moses. In the Old Testament, God brought the Israelites out of Egypt because He loved them and cared for them. They were His chosen people and He loved them enough to free them from the oppression of Pharaoh. But just like me, those stiff-necked people whined and bitched and moaned about how God had drug them out into the middle of nowhere to rot and starve to death in the desert. They totally missed the fact that God had miraculously saved them and promised them a land of milk and honey. They couldn't even be good long enough for Moses to go talk to God on Mt. Sinai. They got bored and restless and started worshiping idols while God and Moses weren't looking. What a bunch of spoiled rotten brats. And every time the Israelites would do something stupid, God would get really angry and get so close to striking them down right then and there. But on several occasions in the book of Exodus and the book of Numbers, Moses would fall face down on the ground in front of God and basically say to God, "Be nice to them." Moses knew how much God loved His people. And he also knew that they were immature children in God's eyes and that they needed God to be patient with them so that they could grow and come to know him more. And every time that Moses would speak up for the Israelites, God would listen and His anger would subside and He would calm down just enough to give them a "life lesson" instead. My wife is very much like Moses. She is very passionate about her children, she loves them very much, and she will say the things that need to be said, even though I don't want to hear it sometimes. She understands that the kids are just being kids and that I don't need to deal with them so harshly. I need to be patient and love them, even though I'm in an unbalanced mental state sometimes. I love her for this. And I think God loved Moses for this as well. The ability to stand up for what is good and right, even in the face of someones anger, all to protect the "innocent." I just wonder if my wife ever talks to any of the the plants in our house to get her inspiration? So, I sit and think that things will improve with me over time and that I'll be more patient and understanding. And I'll have a great leader by my side that loves me despite my mood swings and love my children and loves my God with all her heart.

2 comments:

  1. You're both good for each other and those hilarious children. See I can say hilarious because I don't live with them and so I think they are cute and funny ALWAYS. Even when I'm not supposed to laugh at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been interesting having 2 thyroid crazies in the house. But we make a good team I think!

    ReplyDelete