Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I saw Jesus at a track meet today

Today I went and watched my daughter Haley compete in a track meet at East Coweta High School. All of the elementary schools in our area got to compete at the High School in Track and Field events. Haley ran in the obstacle course, the 50 meter dash and the 400 meter relay. I absolutely loved watching her compete. This was the first time she has ever done anything like this before and I thought she did great. Her group came in second in the obstacle course for her age group. The 50 meter dash didn't go so well for her. She got a little out of sync because of a false start and started off on the wrong foot, literally. She had the wrong foot out front and it made for an awkward start. That slowed her down out the gate and made it too hard to catch up. She was so upset when she was finished and it broke my heart. She did however rebound in the 400 meter relay. She ran the second leg of the race and was able to hold her own. I was really impressed that she actually looks like a runner. She has a very lean frame and runs with long strides. She's not graced with magnificent speed but she did great for being a Bryant. But with all that being said, her accomplishments on the track weren't the best part of her today. As the events were taking place the kids that were waiting to compete sat in the stands in a big group of purple t-shirts cheering and yelling for the other kids on the track and on the field. During the girls 400 meter there were three girls from Haley's school running, each in different heats. The first girl came in second place and the second girl won her heat. The third girl, Delaney, however did not fare so well. She started strong but appeared to either get hurt about half way or got a cramp in her side. All of the other girls in her heat finished several seconds ahead and poor Delaney was almost at a complete stop with 50 meters left. The little girl was so far behind that all the cheering for all the girls had stopped because it looked like everyone was done. But little Delaney was still trying to muster the strength to finish. Then Jesus showed up. Out of the quiet crowd I hear Haley stand up and yell, "Hey everyone, stand up and cheer for Delaney! Get up and cheer for Delaney!" At her prompting the whole crowd of kids from Canongate Elementary got up and yelled for the lone runner on the track. She finished to an uproar despite being dead last and grimacing in pain. I was so proud of my little girl for what she did. I know it wasn't much, but to know that she was pulling for her friend no matter what the outcome made me tear up in the stands. That is what Jesus would have done and what He does in all of our lives. He cheers for us when we are tired, hurting and coming in last place. But there He is, always supporting, always cheering and always loving us no matter what our position in life is. I'm thankful that His spirit lives in my daughter's heart and I'm thankful I have a relationship with Him that lets me see Him on a daily basis, even if it is at a track meet.

4 comments:

  1. That made me cry! sooo sweet. you have amazing kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was all I could do to keep it together yesterday. I was a proud papa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course she didn't tell me that part on the phone. :) So proud of her always, but especially for that. Love your sweet children so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me a mess at work.
    She is a sweet little girl- she gets it all from me!

    ReplyDelete