Friday, May 28, 2010

Peaks and Valleys

People say that life if full of peaks and valleys. There will always be times where you experience total elation and things can't seem to go any better. But there's an equal likelihood that once that elation subsides you'll be headed for what seems to be darkness and despair. We all hope that our lives are, for the most part, spent hovering somewhere in between those two extremes. But I've come to realize that no matter what point you seem to be in life, there's always beauty and serenity around you if you'll just look. I think about the world that God has created around us. I've had the chance to see the sun rise and set on the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, perfect examples of peaks in life. I think about the Grand Canyon and its majestic beauty formed by the Colorado River that I hope to see one day. Quite a valley indeed. But no matter which extreme you look at, God's hand has been there to make some very breathtaking views. Life is just the same. In the beginning, the thought of facing cancer loomed like the biggest valley I could ever have to face. But once I descended into that valley and began to lean heavily on my God and my Savior for strength and guidance, I began to look around at all the beauty that resided there at the bottom. I've seen my kids faces in a new light. I have a stronger appreciation for my wife and what a special woman she is. I've been blessed with countless hugs, phone calls, gifts and prayers. And by looking around at all of that beauty there on the bottom of the canyon of life, I have been lifted up by it all to where now I feel like I'm getting pretty close to the top of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Well said. I've always known He is there, even in the valleys, but I've never thought about the beauty He surrounds us with while we are there. Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete