Monday, May 17, 2010

Why I believe in God

I was watching TV the other night with Lori and got all wrapped up in the doctor dramas that were assaulting my emotions. Every time I watch one of those I always end up wondering, "Where is God in all of those people's lives?" There's all of this heartache and pain and desperation, and at no point does anyone cry out to God or for God. I know it's network TV and Hollywood is devoid of God or Jesus (goodness knows they need it), but still. So I got to thinking about why I believe in God. What is it that brings me to Him? Is it that I don't want to go to Hell when I die? Yup. But that's not really it. Or at least that's not a very substantial reason. Is it because I get myself in trouble and need a savior to help me out? Well, I do have a Savior in Jesus. That's not it either. Is it that I want to live a good and decent life and have people say that I was a good man while they stare at me in a coffin? Yes again, but that's not deep enough. It dawned on me watching Private Practice last Thursday. I know, that's a strange time to have an epiphany. But it just came to me. I realized that I believe in God because I know that there's something bigger than me. And that thing that's so much bigger than me provides comfort and understanding that I can't explain. It's even hard for me to formulate the thoughts in my head but I know it's there. I was faced with this when I found out I had cancer. Then all the stuff I had been practicing in Sunday School and church and at bible studies in college became very, very real. I was quickly facing the possibility of death at an early age. Did I actually believe all that stuff? Had I done all the things I was supposed to so that I had something to look forward to after I was gone? All of these are extremely valid reasons to believe in a loving and compassionate God and to seek out my Savior, Jesus. But then I was faced with one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do. I had to take a crying and upset 9 year old little girl and sit down with her and talk to her about her fears that her daddy might die. How was I going to do this? What could I say? That's when your belief in God comes to the forefront. That's when a very real and loving God comes to you. That's when a faith that has been growing for many years becomes solidified. That's when God sends you the Holy Spirit to empower you and fill you with the wisdom and confidence to do what you do not want to do. And because of that, I was able to keep my composure and calmly face the fears that I had and the fears that my little girl had. I was able to tell her that no matter what happened, God was going to be there through it all. He was going to be with me through my radiation treatments and doctors appointments and follow-ups and most of all He was going to be with her ever step of the way. I could tell her that life is not a guaranteed thing. We have to believe in God and know that He is in control in all facets of our lives. I was facing cancer, but I could just as easily be hit by a bus or have a stroke or have a heart attack. This sickness I was facing was just a part of life that I, excuse me, WE were going to have to face, but it was not going to be alone. God was going to be there holding our hands every step of the way. And I can say without a shadow of a doubt, He has and continues to do so. And that is why I believe in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment