Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Swimming Up Stream

Have you ever tried to swim up stream? I mean really, really tried to swim against a strong current that's trying to push you in the other direction. It's hard. And dangerous. I've never been swept away by a raging rapid by any stretch of the imagination, but there was one time I found myself in a struggle with a large body of water. When I was younger my dad took me to Whitewater for a day of wet, wild fun. I did all of the slides, the lazy river and the like. Where I got into trouble was getting in the big lake, pool, concrete beach thingy that's in the middle of the park. As you can see, it's been a really long time since I've been there, because I can't remember the stupid things name. Anyway, there is a really deep end to the thing where most people get into inner tubes and float around and socialize. Dad wouldn't rent the tube. So, I thought I would just get in and swim. I thought it would be cool to swim from one side to the other, dodging all the inner tubes bobbing in the water. I managed to accomplish this once. Then I had to get back to the other side from where I started. About half way there I hear a horn sound and then all of a sudden the waves started getting bigger and bigger. And for a little kid, they were really big. By the time I finally got to the other side and tried to get to the ladder to get out, I was exhausted. It seemed like I kept swimming and swimming and never could get out. The waves were so big that they kept carrying me up and down so far that I couldn't grab the ladder. It just seemed to drop out of sight. And always just out of my reach. After what seemed like an eternity the waves stopped and I was able to finally get out and catch my breath. Where am I going with all this? An episode like that in your life can make you feel pretty insignificant against the power of God's creation. A person can decide to take a particular path in life and come hell or high water, high water in my case, they are going to get there. And that's okay. But is that path really what God wants for us? Is there a better path, or a different path, or is there a weird nonsensical path that God wants us to meander down? The answer is yes. If you've ever tried struggling against a current or a wave or a hill or a slide, have you ever just let yourself go so that you flow in the natural direction? It's so much easier. But sometimes that's not the direction you intended on going. That's okay. I've begun to realize that if you trust in God and just let go of the things that you are holding onto so tight and let your life flow with the direction He wants to take you, the ride can be quite amazing and fulfilling. No way no how did I ever think I would end up with cancer at the age of 33, but if God hadn't have put that path in my life I would have missed out on some pretty cool things and a boatload of blessings. Don't ever quit swimming, just quit trying to swim up stream.

1 comment:

  1. Phil Vischer says we should be like jelly fish who are willing to float within God's will. We sometimes forget that what we want may not always be what God wants. Of course all he really wants is for us to love him and love others like He loved us. Not as easy as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete