Sunday, June 20, 2010

Community

My church had VBS this week. Haley and Britton both had so much fun. Especially Britton. He came home each day singing the songs and telling us what he had been learning. On Thursday I was riding in the truck with Britton when he informed me that at the end of the week he was going to get to sing on stage for VBS. He told me that he was going to sing on the little stage where we have community. I was a little puzzled by his statement but I soon figured out what he meant. He was going to get up in front of the big sanctuary and sing on the raised part that has the communion table. I was about to correct him and tell him that it's where we have communion and not community, but I thought is was really cute what he said and I let it go. Unfortunately, Britton woke up sick on Friday morning and was unable to go to the last day of VBS. He was crushed, not only because he couldn't go for the last day, but also because he couldn't get up and sing. But he was a real trooper and ended up going to work with me instead. He was very good for me and we ended up having a great day together. All was not lost for Britton though. Today was VBS Sunday where the kids wear their VBS shirts to church and sing for everyone in a combined service in the sanctuary. So Britton got to get up and sing for everyone, even on the little stage where we have community. And later in the service as we sat in the pews and took communion I realized my little buddy was so very right. Each week when we take a few minutes to remember the broken body and shed blood of Jesus we are part of a special community of God's children. And it makes me smile to think just how right my son was, even though he doesn't even know it.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Buddy. So sad he was sick the last day. But see, one day when you publish this blog into a devo book he'll know exactly what he said and how right he was. :)

    ReplyDelete