Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Waiting To Be A Hero

If you didn't know, I am the coach of Charlie Brown's baseball team. Some of you will understand that and some won't. Because of a lack of time and energy, I won't begin ranting about the trials and tribulations of coaching my son's T Ball team. However, last Monday night it did give me an opportunity to get in touch with God on a different level. My son Britton is playing on a 5 and 6 year old T Ball team as a 4 year old. Not because I thought he was that good or anything, it's because I wanted him to play on a team where there were winners and more importantly, losers. His age group is set up where everyone bats every inning, they only play 2 innings and they don't keep score. I thought Britton needed a little dose of reality. It looks like I'm the one that has reality beat up side my head twice a week as I watch Charlie Brown take the mound and Linus run out to the field with his blanket. Anyway, as coach I have the opportunity to put the kids in different positions on the field. Sometimes according to their skill level, sometimes not. The other night I put Britton at second base. His skill level and attention span is more suited for deep left field but he was at second base non the less. I realized that I wanted my son to have a chance to fail. I wanted Britton to be given a chance to play in a glamour position. I had the power to put him where ever I wanted. I could have put him in deep left where he would be safe but then I realized that I wanted Britton to be a hero. I wanted to give him a task that was much bigger than he was so that he could be in a position to be a hero. I knew that he probably wouldn't be able to stop anything hit to him. And if he did he probably wouldn't be too accurate with a throw to first base. But what if he did? How awesome would that have been? Not only for him and his self-confidence, but also for me as his dad. That's when God whispered again. I had the realization that maybe God has put me in a position that is much bigger than I am. He has given me something that I can't fix on my own. He has put me in a position in life where I am relying on Him for strength and guidance and hope. God has put me at second base to see if I can field what comes my way. And He is right there by my side pulling for me every second to make the play and be the hero.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of you and Charlie Brown. I know it has been hard, but I think that you are coaching with integrity and you are being a great example to those kids each week.
    I love you because you stick to what is right and you give each of those kids a chance to shine.

    ReplyDelete