Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Love It When God Whispers

Okay, so on Friday I got to leave work early for Good Friday and the start of Spring Break. I was on my way home when my cell phone rings and it's someone calling about work stuff. And naturally the conversation turned to, "Well, how are you doing? Are you feeling okay?" and the ususal stuff that people ask to check up on me. And as you remember from an earlier post I gave my standard answer, which by the way is still true, of "I'm doing fine." At this point I try and catch the person up on all the different doctor appointments and blood tests and ultrasounds and more blood tests and going to see a new oncologist and when I'll know something and all that stuff. I finally get off the phone and realize, "Damn, I'm tired of talking about all this crap!" I'm starting to forget who I've talked to, who I've updated, who I've told what. And since my wife can tell you that I can be a little verbose at times, I'm starting to think I'm just repeating myself to everyone and simply talking in circles. Pretty soon all of my stories are going to change from, "When I used to work at the movie theater......" to, "Well my next oncology/endocrinology appointment will be....." Anyway, to get to my point, I just got tired of talking about it all and started to get frustrated a little. And I guess it all comes back to the fact that I actually forget that I am "sick"and I go on like nothing ever happpened until I get one of those calls that brings reality crashing back to my little world. But, I soon forgot again as the family and I packed up and headed for a weekend at Callaway Gardens. We stayed down there Friday night and then got up and spent pretty much all day Saturday in the Gardens seeing everything we could and enjoying the beautiful weather and time all to ourselves. Late Saturday afternoon we headed home and had pretty much determined that we were not going to church Sunday because we had lunch early with my family and dinner that afternoon with Lori's family. But, on the way home God whispered. I got to thinking that it would be cool to go and visit with Lori's brother at his church on Sunday morning. I knew that they would have an early service and would be done by 10:30, which would put us very close to where we were meeting my parents for lunch at 11:00. Sounded like the perfect plan. So, we got up Sunday morning and headed to church. Britton was excited to meet new friends and we were excited to share the day and the message with Lori's brother. As the service got going the music was great, the place was packed and then it was announced that there were going to be two baptisms that day. How cool was that? And then God did more than whisper to me. He pretty much got down and put is arm around me and gave me a hug. Before the first baptism the church showed a taped testimony of the guy getting baptised. In it he told a story of his life and how he had prospered and then been broken. And after being broken he came to have a very real relationship with Christ. He also told of how he had gone on a mission trip to Africa with his family and how their job was to act out and tell the African children in the village about a parable where someone propered, was broken and then was reconciled. The guy on the video said it really hit him hard having to basically tell his story over and over again to these kids. Then he said what God wanted me to hear. He said that one of the missionaries in the village told him to keep telling his story over and over again, because each time he told it he was mocking the Devil. Hearing that I was overcome with emotion and almost began to weep. It had hit me too. Everytime I tell people the amazing story of how I found out I had cancer and how things were jumbled up in the diagnosis and how my surgery and treatment went so well and how people have been praying for me and asking about me, I am slapping the Devil right in the mouth and telling him that he has no place in my heart and that he has no victory over me. He can't fill me with fear and dread and worry because I have the victory through Jesus. And with all of the awesome victories, I get to look back on all that has happened and see how God has and continues to whisper in my ear.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you wrote that down- it is awesome.
    And I'm glad you talked me into going to church that morning.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete