Monday, July 5, 2010

1 hr 5 min 20 sec

I ran the Peachtree Road Race for the first time this year in 1 hour 5 minutes and 20 seconds. I finally accomplished something that I have wanted to do for a long, long time. And it took getting cancer for me to get off my butt to do it. But the funny thing is, oddly enough, getting cancer has been one of the biggest blessings of my life. I know that it sounds crazy to put the words blessing and cancer in the same sentence, but that's how I feel. I've been able to grow closer to God, enjoy a deeper and more satisfying relationship with my wife and kids, see how much my friends and family love me. I've faced my fears and changed the way I approach problems in my life. A few years ago a friend of mine asked a question to a group of us. She asked us if we had any regrets in life. I thought about it for a second and then responded with a short answer. No. I have no regrets. I feel this way because I realized that everything that has ever happened to me in my life has shaped me into the person I am today. And if at any point along the way something would have happened differently then I wouldn't be where I am today. I wouldn't have my wonderful wife or my great kids or the friends that I hold so dear to my heart. I realized that God has had a special plan for me and for my life and yes, that has included thyroid cancer. And I am so thankful for that and for where it has and will take me. And I know that next year it will take me 6.2 miles down Peachtree in less than 50 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. And you are correct, this all has been a huge blessing. I love you more with each day that passes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about this post. So glad I got to see you come towards the finish line and I hope to be there running with you next year.

    ReplyDelete