Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going on the record

I have a doctors appointment at Emory on September 24th. Why? you ask. It's because I had my six month scan and check up with my endocrinologist a few weeks ago. At the check up they did blood work, a body scan and an ultrasound of my lymph nodes. When I met with the endocrinologist to get all the results she said that my blood work looked good. There was no trace of the enzyme that is present when thyroid cancer cells are active. That is very good. My body scan was okay. The two places that showed up on my first scan in the area of my lymph nodes did not show up this time. That is good. But, there was a greater concentration of radioactive iodine in the thyroid bed than before. That could be from regular thyroid tissue that was left behind, or it could be from regenerating cancer cells, or it could be scar tissue. But seeing something there is no great shock to anyone. At least my lungs aren't glowing or some other random place. Finally, my ultrasound came back weird. A new lymph node that was not showing up before is now visible on the right side of my neck. What does that mean? Not sure. The endocrinologist said that it could be cancer or it could just be the lymph node doing what a lymph node does. But because she wasn't sure she wanted me to go back to Emory and have them look at everything again. So here comes the prediction. I predict that I will show up for my appointment with the ENT surgeon on the 24th and will be told that he has looked over my results from the endocrinologist and he thinks things look pretty good. But because his people didn't do any of the tests (mainly the ultrasound) he will want Emory to do their own ultrasound to compare to the "baseline" ultrasound that they did during the summer. So, he will have his people get with the radiology department some time and they will be in touch with me to schedule a time for me to come in for another ultrasound to be accompanied by a fine needle biopsy to see what they really have on their hands. Now, this is where you people that are reading this come in. There are a scant few registered followers and a few more blog stalkers lurking out there. I want to do a little contest. The prize is a Starbucks gift card that I have been carrying around in my wallet for months. I want you to comment on two things: 1 - What do you think the doctor will say to me on the 24th; and 2 - what date do you think I will have a follow up appointment with the radiology department. Ive already told you what I think will happen. I would love to know what you think and have a little fun with all of this crap. And don't worry, you don't have to be follower to be eligible to win the gift card. Can't wait to see what you all think.

4 comments:

  1. There will not be a follow up appointment for 6 months- they are going to tell you to go home because everything looks good.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate this for you, more than you know. Just remember, endless ribs at the nasty Golden Corral are in your future with Chad. But not with me and Lori.

    I'm with Lori--I predict and hope they say, cancer? what cancer? And they give you your validation for parking without a bit of trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they'll say, not sure... come back for more tests in October... no changes, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only because you're begging...I don't drink coffee, or anything else from the Bucks, but Adam would love the gift card, so I'll try. I think they will say, "We need to take a closer look at this. We're going to biopsy it and then give you our informed opinion. Schedule your appointment on your way out." At the check-out desk, "Hi, Mr. Bryant. It looks like we need to schedule another appointment with you. We don't have one available until October 11th. Can you do 9:00?"
    And that's my vote.

    ReplyDelete